What you need to know at the Library
Select an item below for more information.
Your Library Card
Why do I need an ID card?
- This card proves that you are a Baker student. While on campus, you will be required to show this ID at different offices: Bookstore, Business office, etc.
- Your ID is also your library card, and you will need to swipe your ID card in order to print in the Academic Resource Center.
What information is there on this card?
- The card has information on the front as well as back.
- The front will have your picture and your full name.
- The back will show your library number, UIN (Unique Identification Number), card version number as well as the User ID.
Do I have to pay for my ID card?
- There is no charge for the first card. Replacement cards cost $5.00 each.
Borrowing from Other Libraries
From Other Baker Libraries
Requesting books from another Baker campus can be done through our Online Catalog.
- Simply click on the PLACE HOLD link in the catalog.
- You will be prompted to enter a Login, which is your UIN, and Password, which is your 14 digit Library Number (you can change your password after you log in).
- Select the appropriate campus for your pick-up location.
- Click the PLACE HOLD button.
- When you place your hold, it is active for 21 days. If the book you want is not available immediately, you can extend the hold for a longer period of time.
The book will be sent from the campus that owns it, and it should arrive within 4 to 5 business days. When the book gets checked in, you will receive an e-mail letting you know that the book is here. This e-mail will be sent to your Baker College email address.
MeL (Michigan e Library) is a state-wide inter-library loan service that may be used when a book is not available through Baker.
- To request books from MeL, simply visit the MeL website.
- Once you're at the MeL website, click on the MELCAT link. This will open the book catalog.
- Enter your search terms and click the FIND IT button.
- When you find the item you want, click the GET THIS FOR ME button.
- You will be prompted to choose which library account you want to use. Select BAKER COLLEGE from the drop-down menu.
- You will be prompted to type in your name and your library card number.
- Make sure to select the appropriate campus location for picking up your item, and click the SUBMIT button.
The book will arrive from the library that owns it within approximately 7 to 10 business days. When the book gets checked in, you will receive an e-mail letting you know that the book is here. This e-mail will be sent to your Baker College email address.
From OCLC (Online Computer Library Center)
OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) is a nation-wide inter-library loan service that may be used when a book is not available through Baker or MeL.
To request an item from OCLC, please stop in to your campus library or fill out the online Request Form for Interlibrary Loan.
Items requested using OCLC may take at least one week to arrive from the owning library. Items requested using OCLC can take several weeks to arrive from the owning library because they are usually shipped using the U.S. Mail.
- Initial loan period for books is 3 weeks.
- Baker books can be renewed 1 time for 3 weeks when no one else is waiting for the book.
- You can renew the books using the My Account feature in the Online Catalog.
- Overdue fines on items returned late: 10 cents per day per item.
- Replacement costs on lost or damaged books as applicable: Price of the book + $10 processing fee.
- Charges/Fees information can be viewed in your library account in the Online Catalog.
Printing & Copying
- Students swipe their ID cards in order to print or copy.
- Please see the Student Printing FAQs for more information.
- Printers function as copy machines, and can scan to your Baker e-mail.
- Please set your phone to silent or vibrate.
- If you must make or receive a call, please take it outside of the library.
Food and Drink
- No food or drinks of any kind are allowed near the computers.
- Bottled water is allowed in other areas of the library.
- Please consume all food items outside of the library.
- Student computer accounts are created at Baker College for all registered students.
- Accounts are deleted when the student has not registered for class for two or more consecutive quarters.
- Your Baker College user ID and password is for your use only. DO NOT allow anyone else to use your sign on information. Violation of this policy can result in disciplinary action. Click HERE to read the entire policy.
Wireless Internet Usage
- Using your device's wireless connection settings, connect to the "Baker" SSID.
- After you have successfully connected to the network, open a web browser and connect to any web site (e.g. http://www.google.com).
- If your campus location has not been updated and the Baker SSID is not available,please visit the My Baker Wireless / Networking page for more information on connecting to the network.
Children in the Library
- Check with your Campus for restrictions on bringing children on campus, as some campus policy's prohibit children on campus for their safety and security.
- For campuses where children are not prohibited:
- Children may come into the building, rather than be left unattended in a vehicle, while a parent/guardian conducts college business, drops off an assignment, etc.
- Children may not accompany students who are on campus to study, conduct library research, or participate in other class-related activities.
- Children may not be left unattended anywhere on campus.
- Children are not allowed to use college resources including computers and printers.
Printing, Copying, Scanning, Faxing
For more information about the Enterprise Managed Print System and printing on-campus, visit our On-Campus Printing pages in My Baker.
Students and Alumni (Baker graduates) Student ID needed to print
- $50.00 printing credit applied each quarter for enrolled students
- Printing is .10 per side for b & w
- Scanning is free
- Printing balances do NOT transfer from quarter-to-quarter
- When the allotment is used, can purchase additional prints in the ARC
- Student-purchased prints are non-refundable & non-transferable
- The quarterly allotment of prints cannot be redeemed for cash
- Replenish your allotment before it runs out
- Guests check in at the Learning Center desk
- Printing costs .10 per side b & w
Printing account additions may be paid for at the ARC Center desk. Minimum $1, maximum $10. Refunds are not available, and funds are not transferable.
Checking Account Balance
There are two ways to see your account balance.
1. Equitrac Account Monitor (EAM) software is installed on most Baker College Computers in the learning centers, libraries and ARC.
Click on the EAM icon in the system tray in the lower right corner of your screen.
2. Cost Preview (pop-up window when you select print from your application).