Baking and Pastry (AAS) Program
Select an item below for more information.
Program Waiver / Handbook
Program Mission & Outcomes
CIM Programs Mission Statement:
Intense, rigorous, industry relevant curriculum that pairs high frequency and repetition of practical skill development with sound fiscal discipline stressing situational leadership, sense of urgency and uncompromising customer service.
Baking and Pastry Program Description:
Bakers and pastry chefs create breads, pastries, desserts and confections that taste as wonderful as they look. They combine the math and science of baking with imagination and creativity to artfully, prepare baked goods, specialty sugars and chocolate confections.
Culinary Institute of Michigan
Associate of Applied Science: Baking and Pastry
- The graduate will be, prepared for entry-level employment in a baking and pastry position in a variety of settings, including fine dining restaurants, hotels, country clubs, and retail bakeries.
- The graduate will be able to execute a full range of techniques, recipes and production methods needed to succeed in the baking and pastry field.
- The graduate will be able to examine the basics of baking mathematics, baking science, food safety and proper basic and advanced bakery equipment use and identification.
- The graduate will be able to, successfully execute theory, practical application and advanced techniques in the classical and international preparation and production of cakes, tortes, plated desserts, sugar work, chocolate and confections.
- The graduate will practice basic, fundamentals of sanitation and nutrition as they apply to the food service industry.
- The graduate will demonstrate a high standard of quality and detail in baking and pastry arts.
- Graduate will demonstrate basic understanding of acceptable industry best practice standards of green initiatives, sustainability, and energy conservation.
- Graduate will be able to investigate ethical behavior in the professional work environment.
Course Student Learning Outcomes
Suggested Academic Plan
Background Check Requirements
No Background Check required.
Additional Program Information
Please see your Program Director for additional program information.
Clinical / Work Experience Information
Must have program director approval for work experience.
For information about work experience, please visit our Work Experience Information web page.
Do you need Health Insurance coverage? If yes, please visit the Healthcare.gov marketplace site.