Baker College Center for Cyber Security
A National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE - CDE)
The Center for Cyber Security at Baker College provides the education, experience and resources essential to cultivate effective leaders in today's digitally dependent world. The Center for Cyber Security combines the College's strengths in software management, cybersecurity, information assurance, and computer expertise to develop cyber security professionals who are guided by logic, critical thinking and ethics.
Traditional protection of electronic information requires knowledge of networking and operating system security, as characterized in the NICE (2.0) specialty areas of Operate and Maintain and Protect and Defend. Baker College incorporates the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) from those areas into its academic program.
Baker College has always been in the forefront of the field of cyber security education. Its program has been at the leading edge of the discipline and has prepared students with strong skills in cyber security earning 7 state, 3 regional, and 2 national championships in annual Collegiate Cyber Defense Network (CCDN) competitions. The College's unified curricula incorporates valuable knowledge and faculty bring practical knowledge and experience from the information assurance and cyber security profession.
In July 2019 Baker College has received the designation of National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE - CDE) from the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. The prestigious designation, awarded until 2024, recognizes the strength and accomplishments of the Cyber Security programs offered by Baker College.
Value to the Nation and Community
The Center for Cyber Security at Baker College is committed to preparing our graduates for challenging and successful careers.
Goals & Unique Features of the Center for Cyber Security
In alignment with National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education goals, the Center provides education, advanced security research and service to:
- Advance the cybersecurity capabilities of the workforce within the Baker College’s service region as well as nationally.
- Increase the number of highly educated, digitally literate citizens within underrepresented people and veterans and to produce professional specialists in areas of critical need from among those groups.
- Generate educational, outreach and research activities that will ensure the protection of the critical infrastructure of the United States as a whole.
- Allow Baker College's graduates to specialize in cyber security and intelligence analysis.
- Prepare students at the graduate level whom are singularly qualified in this essential aspect of security.
Baker College IT Security Degree Programs:
The Center's state-of-the-art lab equipment includes digital forensics workstations, portable data acquisition devices, threat analysis software, wireless antennae, advanced encryption software and malware debugging software. Students engage in hands-on activities using sophisticated, specialized tools and technology, including exposure to simulated environments using virtual machine technologies. As a result, students gain familiarity with the equipment and processes used in the industry to make them highly marketable candidates for jobs.